Friday, December 29, 2006

Numero Uno

Move it or lose it. (name the movie?)

Sometimes movie lines flow through me. I'm not even sure where they come from or if they go together, but flow they will. It stems from a road trip I took with my father, my brother, David, and my sister, Sarah. I'm not sure when this trip occured but I do recall that my father and David were the drivers. I also recall David not having a valid drivers license, but in fact, a learners permit. He was probably a senior in high school (he was too busy with his fun and exciting life to make getting a valid drivers license a priority) which means that I was a junior. This would place us around 1995 (the summer before my junior year). I remember getting a little nervous every time it was David's turn to drive, not because I felt he was dangerous...okay, maybe it was. It made me VERY nervous that my brother was being allowed to drive across the United States with out a drivers license. I was certain that the laws of learners permits were probably limited to the state in which it was issued, nevertheless I said nothing. I had neglected to get my own learners permit and was, therefore, unable to participate in the rotation of drivers. Perhaps it was just jealously? Perhaps. It could also have stemmed from my own recognition that it would indeed be hazardous for me to be behind the wheel of our Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra, trusting me with the lives of the passengers. Hmm, it is gradually becoming clear to me...

I digress. I was saying that we quote movies. Sarah started this game somewhere between Ohio and Missouri (who knows what direction we took). All of a sudden Sarah exclaimed, "What movie's this from." She then proceeded to toss out movie lines that were so familiar yet hard to place. Our favorite family game was born. Sometimes they are quite obvious and it's just a fun past time to incorporate others' lines into our vocabulary, but the seriousness of the game occurs when others are stumped. This is, in fact, the goal. Come up with a line that leaves someone staring, mouth open, eyes searching wildly because they KNOW this line. The title will not come. Sometimes an additional pity line is offered to help. A winning line will leave the person finally stammering, "I don't know! What is it?" The line offerer will then smile, pleased with his or her creativeness and movie knowledge. This game continues on today. We must stand ready at all times, ready to assist our family members in distress.

and in the background one can hear my father, "if you all knew the scriptures the way you know movies..."

8 comments:

natalie (keyser) palmer said...

Linda...
let me guess, the first three movies that sarah quoted were clue, oscar and throroughly modern millie.
try this one on for size...
"he has you on a pedestal and me in his arms..."
hint: i'm reminded of you every time i see this actress on film.
p.s. and one other thing, tell your dad (and my mom) that if we had scriptures movies staring tim burton and marisa tome we would probably quote them too.

Linda said...

Natalie, Love,
my best friends wedding? is it julia roberts or cameran diaz that reminds you of me? i know it's a toss up. :)
And what a brilliant thing to share with my father!!

Likely said...

"Move it or lose it SISTER!?" I know that one. Well, I just can't place it but I know it's Jim Carey - Dumb and Dumber? He says it to some old lady - a nun?

I'm happy to see your blog and I LOVE the title - good choice. You should tell that story on the blog about your friend that orders that drink. So funny.

PS - I had nightmares about a man with the head of a squid last night - go figure.

KB Morgan Fam said...

Nice! I can always go for some intellectual stimulation -- and now I know I can exercise my brain on your blog site -- many thanks for letting me in!

Okay, so here's one for you that may date me horribly:
"Back off man. I'm a scientist."

good luck!

Linda said...

Tiffany!

could possibly be Jim Carey, but I keep hearing Chris Farley's voice as he buses the children around in Billy Madison...It's definitely a common phrase.

Stephanie!

I'm trying so hard...i really don't know, but i'm thinking maybe Christopher Lloyd from back to the future? My other guess is Ghostbusters, Bill Murrey, but I don't think it's that one...help?

Nat!
one more thing...I thought the same thing about Sarah selecting from one of the top three, but I really don't think it was. For some reason I want to say The Burbs. Something like "I think they're gone Ray! I think they're gone"

Which leads me to my next point...voice plays a key part in this game. We mimick voices and take the game to a whole other level!

KB Morgan Fam said...

DUDE!! You nailed it with Ghostbusters! WOW! And you're right about the voice thing -- it adds an entirely different element.

natalie (keyser) palmer said...

i'm not sure about the ghost busters thing. we always watched it on an old video copied from the t.v.. i probably missed that line when steph or mike forgot to press record after the commercials. i do know however, that jim carrey does in deed say "move it or lose it...sister" to a nun in the airport. nice work tiffany.

Chris Rueckert said...

"Hans Christian Anderson... a fine Christian name."

"You've got to be sincere"

"I hate this bike! I hate this stinkin' bike!! I wanna go home, why can't we just go home!!!"

"It's our time down here. That's all over the second we ride up Troy's bucket."