Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow Day!

I really love the snow. The last few winters in Boston haven't been that bad. This winter is already shaping up to be a doozy and I'm really excited about it. Last Thursday we had a great snow fall!

I got out of work early and 2 hours later was finally home. I live at the top of a hill and pretty much any road you try to take is steep. I had difficulty making it to my house, but finally did. I had a friend coming over too and it was an adventure to brainstorm ways to spin up hill and criss-cross to find more traction. Once we finally go to my house we decided to hike back down the hill to go find food. Silly me, I hadn't been grocery shopping in a long time and we were going to starve. It was an adventure. I love wintry hikes especially when I get back to my house and It's warm and cozy inside. Thursday after we got back to my house it was great to hear the snow and wind outside and just love being home. Eventually you have to go back outside and try to dig out cars, but even that can be fun.

Today is Sunday. I woke up and there is more snow and a lot of wind. I looked out my window and noticed none of our streets are plowed and it's still coming down. I know my bishop refuses to cancel church but I also didn't want to slide down hill and then not be able to get up (let alone trying to dig out my car...) My roommate Katy and I decided it would be best to stay in. We drank hot chocolate, made pumpkin pancakes, and decided to decorate our house a bit for Christmas. We sat down in our living room to check the weather channel and we received the greatest gift in the history of snowstorms...An Anne Of Green Gables Marathon!!!! Wahoo!!!

Which leads me to the greatest movies list for snow days and sick days when I was a kid:

*Anne of Green Gables and Avonlea: Anne with an E is one of the greatest characters ever. and let's face it, Gilbert was always a cutie. Katy and I are laughing out loud right this very second! Anne just wailed on Gilbert with her slate and is now in the depths of despair because she dyed her hair green! So Brilliant! Being smart is better than being good looking!

*Jane Austin's anything: my personal favorites are Emma and Mansfield Park. I find that for some reason I feel a connection with Emma--like I understand her foibles, they are much like my own.

*Farris Bueller's Day Off: the day we all wish we had the guts to follow through on in high school.

*Goonies: I never get sick of that one. Goonies never say die. Never.

Our Christmas decorations are coming along nicely and cheaply. I bought three fake little trees and put some lights and bulbs on them in the corner. They're small and cute. I love poinsettias, so we have a few of those. We also have more lights and garland. We're trying to decide what to do with it. Next Saturday my parents are going to be here. We're going to have a holiday dinner at my house. My mom is Swedish and my Dad German so we like to put out a great spread of European cheeses, breads, and all kinds of holiday food. mmm...m...m!! Siblings, I wish you were going to be here.

9 comments:

Whits said...

I love this snow day too. I wish I could spend it watching movies, but i have a lameo final to cram for that's tomorrow. It's nice that I don't have to go outside though!

and I LOVE anne of green gables too! Too bad our cable box decided to crap out last week and so we are only getting network channels...lame.

Enjoy!

The Thomas Family said...

I totally disagree with you about many of your so-called snowday joys (i.e. being outside AT ALL, digging out cars, trying to drive... I dread it all), except for the staying home and watching movies part. Yes.

I love those movies.

Stupid, and now that you are 'private' you have to do a word verification... I hate that... and I hate you!! Just kidding, I couldn't help it. Today was my last Sunday in my ward and I played my violin with the choir. It didn't sound very good and I felt embarassed. Because it was my last Sunday and I just played horribly infront of everyone, I felt like yelling, "I don't like the violin and don't like any of you anyway!!!!"

Anyway, I know you will all have a fabulous smorgasbord. I will miss you, too!

Tiff Rueckert said...

Linda, the world of bloggers are going to be very dissapointed that you have decided to go private! A lot of people that I know have told me that they LOVE reading your blog because you are so witty and wonderful, even though they don't know you that well! Oh well.

I loved your snow day movies, but I'm not sure how much I love snow days because it just means trucking through the snow with an infant carrier while yelling "Brielle, come back here! You can't run through 2 feet of snow!"

We missed you at our smorgasbord/lucia celebration!

Linda said...

seriously tiff, I don't care who reads the blog, I'll send them an invite if they want. I just thought I'd honor my mother and make it private.

sarah, You crack me up!! i miss you so much! and I can just see you screaming internally at your ward--I'm sure you looked beautiful, flushed with embarassment and all.

natalie palmer said...

linda,
i'm still madly in love with anne of green gables and everything that it involves. including my secret little trip to youtube the other day where i watched music videos of anne and gil. kind of lame. but i still kind of secretly loved it.
can i take a snow day with you one of these days? utah plows the roads. i hate it.

Likely said...

oooooh! I want to be sick with you!

And how about the Price is Right or Supermarket Sweep? Not movies, but I loved when I was home sick because I normally didn't get to see those.

CARROTS??!!!!!!!!??????

LOve love love anne with an e.

Heather said...

Oh this is so great! thanks again for inviting me to your blog!! I will read it religiously! :)

I miss you tons! your back yard is beautiful by the way and you sound like you're doing great!

I agree with the thomas family 100%.. not so much of a snow day fan unless I can be indoors. Our house in Provo overlooks the whole valley and I do have to admit that it is beautiful to look out when it snows.. but a nightmare to make it down the hills and up.

I have a movie to add to your list if you haven't seen it.. it's my new FAVORITE! It's called North and South (not the civil war version with patrick S. but it's a BBC with Richard Armitage.. dreamy) anyway, it's SOOO good you have to see it.

Other than that.. stick any ole' movie in front of me and I'm pretty much happy.

sorry to hog the comment section.. I just haven't talked to you in so LONG!!!

loves.
Perrins

Allison said...

i love snow days. there are almost never good snow days in utah.
what's with the word verification? and what is with the wheel chair/handicap symbol next to the word verification box?

Linda said...

al-i think it means if you're in a wheel chair you don't have to do it. they get away with everything!