Tuesday, September 2, 2008

An Attack or a Gift?

Labor Day weekend is supposed to be fun! A last hoorah before school and work and fall routines occur again. Why do we make this weekend the worst possible by making it moving weekend? Maybe there is a way for me to avoid that in the future. Nonetheless, I did not have a final hoorah, I moved. It was long, arduous, mind-numbing work. I'll spare you the details and the pain, I doubt I could communicate that worthily enough. I'll sum up and say that at 3am Sunday morning my three new best friends had successfully helped me move everything I own to my new apartment. Sunday I was able to unpack and try to get some things organized. I was ahead of the game. My roommate was planning to bring all of her things on Monday. This is where my delightful story begins.

On the side of our house we have a patio that wraps around to the front of our building. There is a gate there and it is usually locked. For the weekend of our move we had asked the landlord to open it for us because it would be easier to carry things through the sliding glass door as opposed to our front door. Sunday night I went to sleep, anxiously thinking about all the things I had ahead of me the next morning. When I woke up I looked outside my window and saw that there were things outside the glass door on the ground. My first thought was that my roommate had a burst of energy during the night and decided to move some items and just leave them outside. I thought, "Oh, she should have woken me up, I would have opened the door for her!" Upon closer observance I noticed a toaster. She and I had discussed the fact that neither of us would be bringing a toaster to the house. Perplexed, I went to look closer. As I walked toward the glass door I was amazed at what I found.
This is the only picture I took. It captures a lot, although not all. Someone had come during the night, laid out a carpet and carefully piled junk all over it. As I looked I noticed that a lot of care went into this gift on my porch. My favorite part was the stuffed bunny, frog, and duck having a tea party on an old suitcase. This was funny! I continued looking and found a broken iron, toaster, VCR, water heater, a chair with an old boot, a poster with a goat on it, and many other gems of other peoples lives which had been cast aside.

I first thought it was my friend who helped me move. When I thought further, these friends wouldn't have done it. They were already out moving me the night before into the early morning hours and were just as tired of moving stuff as I was. At first it was funny, but then that changed. I was going to have to move all of the junk off my porch. I had already moved so much! The thought of moving anything extra was painful and mean!!!! This was mean. I called another friend to help me get rid of it. As she arrived we found a matching chair on the street outside my house. So I have a new theory. There were two guys moving out of my building Sunday. I helped one of them, sort of, holding the door or whatever. My new guess is that it was them. But that also doesn't make sense. I have a really hard time picturing anyone who'd been moving all day setting up a tea party with stuffed animals for people they don't know. At the same time, maybe they are far more clever and were able to have a lame final hoorah on their labor day weekend.

So I don't know what to think. But I'm back to thinking that it was kind of funny. I can appreciate harmless pranks, although quite annoying. I'm glad I have this picture to remember it. I hope it's not some kind of freak stalker new neighbor.

9 comments:

Inger said...

Wow, I think it is great to have friends who will help to move during the night hours! How thankful we are for such friends!! Also, friends who will help remove other people's "stuff". These are wonderful people. A big THANK YOU to each one of them. They did not realize that they made a difference , not only to Linda, but to a mother in Maryland.

RR said...

I ricky,
That is too funny. Who in the heck has a bunch of junk like that?? Seriously.

The Thomas Family said...

Ah, I like that. I like whoever did it. Random- and a good memory.

Likely said...

I LOVE that person. LOVE them. I would have laughed my head off at that. You have to see it as someone putting some time and energy into wanting to make you laugh and I love that. I don't think it was someone trying to get rid of their own junk at all on your front porch, someone definitely thought it through more than that. I can just see you looking out there curiously and then upon further inspection a smile spreads across your face.

I think it was a secret invitation to a tea party. A tea party with destiny.

You have to solve this mystery. You just have to.

k8 said...

that is seriously so hilarious.

miss lena's pie said...

Man, if something like that would happen to me...hahahaha...simply mazing. Let it bring a smile to your face until the next unexpected porch scene. If I hadn't been in Denmark that night, you can be sure it would've been me that did it!

Is this your second move this year?

Julie said...

At least one good thing about having someone else's stuff/junk....you don't have to worry about where to put it. The garbage can is never far away and is easy to put things in. You only have to worry about the things you packed and moved. That's the hardest thing for me. I never know where to put things/junk.

Linda S. Socha said...

Talk about a unique and artful arrangement...Fun Thanks for sharing.

Linda S. Socha said...

Talk about a unique and artful arrangement...Fun Thanks for sharing.