Tuesday, August 26, 2008

my own mental status exam

I'm a little stressed this week. I'm moving. I can't wait, but I'm a tad stressed. Last night I got home and realized I had successfully avoided, yet again, doing anything productive to prepare for my move. I had that oh-so familiar queasy feeling in my stomach. The one that usually comes around every mid-terms and finals season, when I have a 25 page paper due in 3 days and I've only done some basic research. I can usually bank on two long nights, but always squeaking out that last page, getting it in right on time. This is what I keep telling myself, "It will all work out. It always does."

But I still get stressed. Signs that I'm stressed: my leg is bouncing as I sit in my office chair (not a usual thing for me), I just want to eat, I start to freak out about anything and all things. This one is actually quite humorous because it's so unnecessary, yet incredibly real!

Things I'm freaked out about because I'm stressed:

1. I had a break light out and was SURE the popo's would find me, finally ask me for my license, realize I'm licensed in another state, car's registered in another state, they'd impound my car, take my license and I'd end up owing thousands of dollars for whatever reason to whatever Massachusetts agency.

2. I've gained weight. Like not really, not on a scale, but I haven't been running like I used to and haven't been swimming lately and I feel gross. I then start to notice all kinds of unsettling things like the fact that I've gained weight, but not really.

3. I kinda like this boy. That's all I have to say about that. BUT I will say, it's fun to be a little bit giddy. I hope that giddy feeling lasts. In order to make it last I must NEVER talk to him, thus avoiding the opportunity for him to ruin my giddy feeling.

4. Summer's coming to a close and soon it'll be really really really cold. I should have done something more with my summer. Stupid real job.

5. I'm afraid my car's going to break down. There is no reason for this, just an impending feeling of doom and dread.

I hope this move goes smoothly. All these things will take care of themselves. I realize they are not rational thoughts (thanks CBT) but they're there. As far as my mental status goes, I'd say increased anxiety, thought process jumbled at best, oriented x 3, still presents well-kempt appropriately dressed, hygiene intact.

5 comments:

Tiff Rueckert said...

atleast you have not really gained weight...I feel fat and frumpy too!

A Wrinkle in Time said...

HA!! Ahh Linda where have you been the last so many years of my life?? I found your blog through Sarahs, I'm so gald I did cause I laughed out loud at this post!! hope the move goes well. Laura

The Thomas Family said...

You are so funny.

Good luck. As my experience also tells me: it will all be over soon.

Inger said...

Ah Linda, I wish I could be there to help you! But I know you can do it! You have a good plan!

Likely said...

Well hopefully your car WILL break down so you can jog home giddily while you think of said boy and all the while enjoying the last of the summer's bountiful rays.