Tuesday, October 7, 2008

My Name

I believe I have mentioned it before, but every morning on my way to work I listen to a radio station that has a survey question each day. Often I find them silly and mildly entertaining, and sometimes I find one that actually promotes deeper thoughts. This morning they were talking about how people change their last names when they get married. They started with the example of Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise and how they didn't because they were both established prior to their union. There are many ways people choose to do this, but the question they were asking this morning was along the lines of: should the person who is the LEAST successful in the relationship submit to the success of the other and change their name. I guess asking if the woman is more successful and established, should the man just deal with it and change his name to match hers. So like I said before, silly and mildly entertaining, but today it got me thinking about a few things. Mostly, my own name. (and no this isn't a thoughtful tribute to my ancestors or anything, much more trivial)

When I was born my parents opted not to give me (or my sisters) a middle name. When I asked as a child about not having a middle name they said that when I got married I would take my husbands name and my last name would become my middle name. In a way, this always bothered me. In some way, I got the message that as a girl I shouldn't get a middle name or something and it also made the assumption that inevitably I would be wed. When people would ask me for my full name, I always wished that I had a full name and didn't sound so lame as saying just my name again. Lately this has changed! Mostly because of two of my sisters marriages.

I hate hyphens. I think it's really lame to hyphen your name. Sorry if you love it, I reserve my right to hate it as much as it is your right to do it. When I do get married I hope that we will start our family. Having our family I would like us all to share one name, one that unites us all. I am still myself, unique in my traits and talents and even though I plan to change my last name, I feel no threat to my identity or heritage. (I'm not saying that people who don't change their names feel these things, I am just talking about me...so relax if you feel the need to defend others choices.) That all being said, I really love that I can reserve my current last name as my middle name! My parents are brilliant! I won't have to drop anything! I think of my married sisters names and how beautiful they are. It works. I was talking to a co-worker about this and asked if she would change her name when she gets married. She told me that hyphening was not an option because it would be Lord-Killgoar and she'd have to carry a sword to pull that one off.

Then there are those who just choose to combine names without a hyphen like Clark Donavan. If I can barely write my first name I'm not writing out two last names. It's just not going to happen. What about those who create a blended name for all to share? Claravon? I guess you can if you want to. I think it would depend on what you're working with. Lordgoar I'd vote no. Killord--maybe. What about Brangelina? Blending first names and eliminating last names all together... it just wouldn't work, not feasible.

This leads me to my next tangent. My signature. This is actually where all these thoughts are coming from. The phone survey was about changing your name, I thought about how I'd like to change my signature. Which then led me to when I get married will I change my signature then? Right now I just sign my first initial and then my last name. This mostly came out of laziness. I can't do the scribble thing. It just looks sloppy. If I'm going to sign my name it should read as my name I guess. So when I was in college I just started signing my initial and last name. This was never an issue until I was applying for student aid for grad school. Someone called me and said I hadn't signed the forms correctly and I needed to submit again with my full signature. By that time, my signing was habit. I called them back and said that this was indeed my signature. I sign all documents this way. The person on the phone gave me a hard time but finally accepted my signature. (seriously, you can scribble and make wavy lines and no one says a thing, but an initial and last name was somehow wrong? It just doesn't make sense to me.)

But lately I was thinking that I want to write my name out but I guess I hesitate to change my signature. So thinking about all this I was wondering do I have to get married to change my signature? Probably not, but it's still wildly inconvenient. It will probably stay as it is. I don't know why I don't like it.

7 comments:

Likely said...

I had a middle name growing up, but dropped it for my maiden name when I married. Unofficially I keep them all though, all four :) I agree with the hyphen thing. I had a student who had a first name and a hyphenated last name of his mother and father's name and it was really annoying doing any kind of paperwork for him.

As far as signature, I totally changed mine when I married. I practiced and practiced until I created something I love to write. and I still love writing my signature every time I have to write it. You have to sign soooo many things in life, might as well make it fun.

I changed my signature before I was married and it never mattered. If it was something that I knew they were going to check with my license as a reference, I would write my license signature, which was BOOOORING. But on everything else I would do my fancy fancy.

I think cool signatures are fantastic. You especially want something funky and difficult when you are a mom so the kiddos can't forge it.

Get some blank paper and start practicing!!!!!!!

michelle said...

I also don't have a middle name. Whenever people ask me my name I tell them and they ALWAYS say, "No middle name?" I don't mind though. What's the point of middle names anyway I ask you?

The Thomas Family said...

Interesting. Yeah, I always wished I had a middle name but always was happy with mom and dad's arrangement. I love having my maiden name my middle now.

With Claire it was hard to decide. We gave her a middle name just because I thought 1) just so she has one and never "wishes" she had one 2) when she gets married she can always keep her last name too, as many have 3) this may sound weird but I just don't have a strong enough tie to Thomas yet and I didn't care to make sure it will become her middle name!

"wildly inconvenient"...I like that.

Tiff Rueckert said...

Wow Linda! This is a lot to think about! I'm with Sarah, I did not have a middle name growing up and ALWAYS wished I did! I gave myself the middle name Ann -- and I pretended it was my middle name for years! I was so jealous because my parents gave Nat a middle name. I gave Brielle one and I think her name is too cute...Brielle Rose! Most girls end up keeping their middle name anyway or all of them...like Tiffany.
Married names: I hesitate to say this to you considering we share the last name now but it is a good thing we don't pick our spouses by their last names or we would not be sister in laws. First of all I have always hated writting the letter R. I don't like it in cursive at all...G was much better! R is also so far down the alphabet and lastly people slaughter it daily...I change the way I pronounce it almost everytime because people get confused if I say it and they can't find it with 'Ri'...you know all of these issues...you deal with them too. Anyway, my biggest problem is that I don't like writting R's and I don't like my signature! You can definitely change yours...let me know if you come up with a fancy R that I can use too!

natalie palmer said...

wow, you can tell we're related. my mom gave me the EXACT same answer as a child, "your married name will be your middle name". it totally bugged me. i think i'm going to give my girls middle names. the more names the better these days with all the credit score mix ups! and tiff, i can't beleive you love the letter G in cursive. i STILL haven't figured that one out!

Alaina said...

I'm still laughing about Lord Killgoar.

Thanks for your thoughts on my Prop 8 blog! I'm glad I've resonated with a few other's ideas.

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh Linda! Here are my two cents on middle names-I love them as a mom because we have so many wonderful people in our lives that we 'sort-of' want to name our kids after. Using these names as middle names gives us that chance! Our kids can be named after someone wondeful without totally sharring. I do kind of wish all my legal stuff had my maiden name as my middle, though. Oh well. It was GREAT chatting with you the other day!!

Nat