Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Simple Communciation?

Brought to you by: silly phone survey all about Google's new Goggle feature to prevent drunken emailing. (you can make a setting on your computer for nights and weekends in which you will have to answer simple math questions in a certain amount of time to enable you to send messages.)

This is an interesting concept. The problem: I'm sober and send stupid (really stupid) texts and emails and sometimes chats which I immediately regret. We'll call it impulsivity.

Evidence:

A. A few weeks ago I was hanging out with a friend of mine. It was a fun night, we hadn't spent time together in a while and after he left I felt the need to communicate to him that I enjoyed the night, that I've missed talking with him, that we should do it again soon, blah blah blah... This is what was actually sent from my phone: Gosh, I really missed hanging out you. Not a huge big deal, but unbelievably annoying. How hard is it to simply communicate a thought without screwing it up?

B. This weekend I ran into someone I don't know very well, we see each other so rarely, that when we started to chat and were immediately interrupted, I was quite annoyed and bothered. Later that day I was thinking about how I wanted to talk more, so I looked up his email address and sent him an email. I'm not even sure what I blabbed about but I'm sure I was blabbing. Again, not a huge big deal but annoying.

C. Important thing to know about me: I think I'm pretty funny. Yesterday I sent a text to a friend of mine who recently moved out of state. It said: I think we should go see Nick and Nora's Infinite Playlist tonight. He responds with something like, What? you do realize we're in different states/cities/time zones? To which I responded, You have no imagination. Yes I realize that. Last night around 7 I sent another text saying: I'm so sorry I'm not going to make it tonight but lets try again later this week. JUST PLAIN DUMB. But this morning I felt the need to acknowledge it. I was chatting and said: sorry about my obnoxious texts, I'll try not to do that even anymore. Yes. Again, how hard is it to eliminate unnecessary stupid communication or at least communicate an idea or thought simply and easily?

These are just a few examples. I could go on and on and on and on. I don't know if Googles Goggles will help me stop being so dumb and quick to send incomplete unclear messages to people. But maybe an official hand slapper. Someone to stand over me to slap my hand every time I try to send some ridiculous communication that isn't necessary and I'll wish I hadn't in about 5 seconds. Or a buzzer of some kind. I could just tag people in my phone or computer that every time I try to send something I get an electric shock. This way I would only send things that would be worth getting shocked over. So only absolutely necessary communications. Somehow I must be stopped!!!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I think you're pretty funny too. And I'm currently watching a hillarious episode of the simpsons.. so I've had a good laugh for the evening. Thanks Sally.

My boss' name is right below Kirk's in my phone so I'm always afraid that I'm going to send my boss a text that's intended for my husband.. hasn't happened yet thankfully.

Anyhoo.. You make me laugh.

Inger said...

Linda, it is interesting to live in this world of emailing and texting. I often think people click send before they proof read. I know I have done that MANY times!

Likely said...

I didn't think any of that was silly. Maybe it makes you nervous, but none of it sounds stupid to me. and the last one, that IS funny. Especially when you wrote back and said "it's not going to work out" ha ha... you are hilarious. I wish people appreciated that.

At least your family always will :)

Linda said...

I wish people appreciated me too! You're hilarious Tiff!

The Thomas Family said...

Yeah, that is funny, Whinner, not stupid. People who don't get it are stupid! That is really funn picturing, though. A hand slapper!

Anonymous said...

LOVE your blog. I have always thought you were funny. And everyone has had those texting flaws happen. Example; I just rewrote a sentence to you three times and corrected myself. :)
bianco

miss lena's pie said...

Yea, what's wrong with your friend who didn't get the humor in the movie text? You should get more friends who appreciate your great sence of randomness. Somehow, when a joke like that is offered and not recieved properly, it often leaves you with the greatest feeling of un-satisfacion, that can sometimes result in wallowing...maybe because not being understood brings back dark memories from kindergarten and cruel 5 year olds freezing you out because they didn't get your style!...

Ops, I think I got a bit sidetracked there.

My point: you're funny and the world would be a lot more dull if people would stop sending random texts to eachoter.