Tuesday, October 30, 2007

I think it's funny how sometimes a person with go to great lengths to address an issue (or ignore it) to just have all that energy wasted as an element outside of the persons control contradicts all the work being done.

an example...

I work a few times a month at a center that specializes in the treatment of eating disorders. This place is very well known for it's work and philosophy in addressing this population. The rules for being a part of the program are very specific and detailed (as are the rules for working there). All these rules and regulations allow the program participants to live in a safe environment where they are supported in working to overcome their addictions and behaviors that feed the eating disorder. To accomplish this meals, conversations, activities, EVERYTHING is monitored and redirected when eating disorder behaviors are brought up.

So funny story...

I worked this weekend and I was pondering the severity of these many rules and regulations and debating the importance of them all (in my head) because these ideas fascinate me. We have carefully monitored all words and behaviors so as not to stir up someones issues. We go to the movies and sit down. Each person has their previously bagged snack to eat and are excited to get out of the house. As soon as we sit down the screen is showing those interesting pop-up facts and trivia which are always interesting. We are sitting for about thirty seconds and reading these facts (I did know that the name Wendy was created for Peter Pan and there were no records of a Wendy prior to that). So like I was saying...sitting for 30 seconds and guess what pops on the screen:

On average, a human will take in 600, 000 pounds of food during a lifetime. That's the equivalent of 6 elephants.

There was a quiet hush among our company, and then laughter. At least we can laugh about the absurdity. Seriously. True story. I love stuff like this!

5 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Interesting...

What movie did you see? And I didn't know the name Wendy was created for Peter Pan. Are you sure about that?

Anonymous said...

That's so great a story. Hmmm....uncomfortable pause, then "Kit Kats, anyone?", as you wave your pre-made baggie of treats down the aisle.

Linda said...

we saw dan in real life. suprisingly good. I liked it, and yes I'm sure. Wendy was invented for peter pan.

and oh how i wish i could have waved kit kats and argued that they're light weight-it's the snickers that need to be avoided.

Lady Bills said...

me like food. me eat food. mmmmmm foood.

miss lena's pie said...

laughter can be such a relief! I miss your laugh Linda and us laughing toghether!! Do it now, 1, 2, 3 hahahahahahaha, hahaaaaahaha, haha, haa!!

Ah..great. Miss ya.