Thursday, June 5, 2008

Hawaii--photo documentation

It has been requested that I post some photo's of my trip to Hawaii here on my blog. So I will oblige and offer brief descriptions. Let me begin by saying it was such an awesome trip. I went for a wedding. My good friend Suzy was marrying a friend of ours, Stu, hence Stuzy '08. I met up with my good friend M.E. and we enjoyed a lot of sun. We stayed in Waikiki, one of the top tourist spots in the world. It was an adventure for sure!! This is the first night I arrived. It was a beautiful sunset in Waikiki with local singers and dancers entertaining the tourists.
M.E. and I needed some documentation that we were, in fact, there. We couldn't have been happier.
The first morning, after the first sunset, we woke up and went to the beach. M.E. went surfing and I lazied on the beach to my hearts content. Here I wanted documentation that I was there. There was a funeral that morning for a local man who'd lived his whole life in Waikiki. The boat you see is carrying most of the funeral procession out to sea where I believe they were dumping his ashes. There had already been a caravan of Hawaiian canoe-type things leading the way with many attractive native Hawaiians. After the funeral they all stayed to surf.
One of my only touristy things I did was go to Pearl Harbor on Sunday afternoon. I love stuff like this. They had a really nice visitors center and free video and tour. It was really informative and then we got on a boat that took us out the memorial for the U.S.S. Arizona that is still visible just below the surface of the water. Pieces of the ship still stick out above the water. Thousands of men are entombed within the ship. Such a tragedy.
This is the inside of the memorial. It was completely quiet and incredibly windy (I was wearing a skirt). I really loved being able to learn a bit more about what happened there.
So like I said, we came for the wedding. This is the beautiful Laie Temple. We also drove through the BYU campus.
Stuzy
M.E. Sarah and I having our own photo session after the sealing.
This is us waiting outside the temple. It was such a perfect day!
We took tons of pictures of us while we waited. I found this flower on the ground (because you can't pick flowers at the temple, but if they fall, help yourself).

Here are some of my favorite scenes. We drove the the eastern coast one evening at it was so beautiful!!
We decided we had to come back to this beach in the morning because it was so perfect!!
Doesn't this remind you of Goonies? or Lost?
or the Lady in White?
Back in Waikiki. I was there.

8 comments:

Likely said...

hookie hookie hookie hookie hookie Lau.

That is Hawaiian for:
You look really pretty in those pictures.

Likely said...

Oh! And maybe the whole Hawaii thing had an influence on you for the better regarding coconut.

Ya think?

Tiff Rueckert said...

Why would you go to Hawaii if you could come visit us in Utah? We're jealous...

Tiff Rueckert said...

One more thing..Tiffany is right, you do look really pretty, I thought the same thing!

The Thomas Family said...

Awesome! I love how you write... hence Stuzy.
Looks so beautiful, what a great trip, I am so glad you went and you look so pretty. I would have tried harder to get darker though... ha!!

The Thomas Family said...

And I love stuff like that too... I would love to go see Pearl Harbor. It is so touching and history becomes real. When we were in France last summer we went to see the beaches of Normandy. Same thing, just being there you feel sober, something of the tragedy that took place.

Inger said...

Linda, great pictures. You are beautiful!

The Thomas Family said...

I think Lady in White