Monday, June 16, 2008

Titanic

No, it's not 1997. Remember when The Titanic was the biggest movie EVER? Everyone was talking about it, there was all the controversy about the nudity, and Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't on Growing Pains anymore?!?! I remember everyone carrying on about that movie forever!!!! Well, I never watched it. It's not like I sat down and refused to watch it. I just never did. It was two VHS tapes and freaking LONG!!! I was sure that it was good, but I also knew that it was about a huge tragedy and chances are, even with a new movie to highlight the event, people would still die in this version. I also have a really hard time with ship sinking, people drowning movies.

For example, it's New Years Eve, 1989 (probably) I'm in 4th grade. My father decided to rent Poseidon Adventure to accompany our supply of soda and peanut butter M&M's. I could hardly stand this movie. I STILL have nightmares which involve a HUGE wall of water moving towards me, wiping out everything. Where did I see that? Poseidon Adventure. At one point I remember I was sitting on the top of the back of the couch and my brothers teasing me, "Linda, are you trying to get out of the water?!?!" I was freaked out!! I don't like watching people drown and die. This experience may have contributed to my not rushing out to see the Titanic.

I graduated high school in '97 and went away to college and this movie was such a big deal. I think after a while it became kind of fun for me to tell people when they were talking about it, that I hadn't seen the film and couldn't really participate in their discussion. A few months ago I noticed that the movie was on TV. I was working and had nothing else to do and I watched like 20 minutes of it. All I saw was Leo handcuffed to a beam and water rising, then Kate Winslet finds an axe and miraculously hacks perfectly to cut him free and then they try to get up on deck. I still didn't think I was missing anything.

Last Saturday I was working again. One of the new girls wasn't able to go on a visit with her family and Titanic was her favorite movie. At 6:00 we started watching Titanic. I warned her and the others in the room that I hadn't seen this--scoffs and bafflement followed for a few minutes--then I told them I was excited to see it, AND that I'd try to control myself and not freak out. I told them before hand that I have severe issues with drowning, blatant disregard for human life, and cocky wealthy people who think they rule the world at the expense of others.

At 9:30ish we finished, I think. I had to flee the room once, when they were shutting the emergency doors and people were still stuck in the boiler room to drown. I have a hard time with that. There were a few times when I had to apologize because I was pointing out some things that didn't make sense (can't remember what that was now), and when I was yelling about people making stupid decisions when their education and intuition know better. That whole Titanic sinking thing could've been avoided. And I LOVED when they showed the frozen baby and kid screaming in the hallway, and the mom singing her kids to sleep with the water rising. That stuff was awesome!

Overall though, I actually really liked it. I realize it's a cheesy love story and I could've done without the old lady throwing the diamond in the ocean-the batty old hag. But seriously, I liked it. I really liked the characters and the filming itself was pretty cool. AND I liked that somehow I made it out without having that Celine Dion song stuck in my head!!! (I've had that Air song stuck in my head all weekend-Celine couldn't even trump that) I doubt I'll ever sit through it again, but I'm glad I've seen it. I thought it was good.

Now I'm wondering what other movie can replace Titanic for being an epic film that everyone loves, everyone should see, everyone knows it, but I don't? hmm, Schindler's List?

8 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

"That stuff was awesome""?? Don't you mean "sad"??

Yeah, I know. I know. That's all I have to say about that. I've only seen it once and it was at the movies so it has been a long time. I really don't desire to see it again.
Well, I caught the sinking part on TV a few days ago as a matter of fact. I stopped and watched a few minutes... it bugged me so I had to turn it. Just that it is so sad! Such a tragedy. I mean the actual event--not the movie. Leo and Kate mean nothing to me.

Anyway.

Schindler's List was a very good movie. I guess I saw the edited version though!

(ps-- Ferris Bueller's Day Off)

Inger said...

Interesting. I always disliked those kind of movies. I don't plan to ever see the Titanic. I feel the same way you do. Do you remember a movie called something like "the great storm". They all went under as well. No thank you for me.

The Thomas Family said...

The Perfect Storm.

Linda said...

I forgot to mention a WAY important detail:

I was watching Titanic while there was a free America concert going on by the Esplanade. I was kind of bitter about missing that. Cuz we LOVE America!!

never saw the perfect storm, and I can't believe I didn't get FBDO!!!!

michelle said...

I love your way of thinking!! "I told them before hand that I have severe issues with drowning, blatant disregard for human life, and cocky wealthy people who think they rule the world at the expense of others." I agree...well, I don't have severe drowning issues but the rest is good. I also keep telling myself I am not a bitter person, I am not a bitter person...I just don't like being in school! Never have!

Team Bryant said...

Linda, I agree with you!!! I couldn't have said it better myself...amazingly!! I like "I remember Mama"...I loved that movie..it should be a classic, especially when the father is helping his son smoke his first pipe...that's a great flick..my boys have been watching Sandlot lately...another classic! Love ya, Elise

Likely said...

Near, far, wherever you are, I believe that my heart will go on.

I will never let you go Linda.

David has never seen Titanic either. He's not missing much eh?

I like saying eh. I pretend I am from Canada.

Also I like Canada. And Canadians. Yeah, that means you Ben.

Classic movies you haven't seen??? David saw Rudy for the first time last night. I couldn't believe he hadn't ever seen it. Have you seen it? Good show.

Chelsea said...

Linda, I am one of those with scoffing and baffled comments. You never saw Titanic?? Wow. So glad you watched it and realized what you were missing. Even though I think Lord of the Rings is the Epic Movie that replaces Titanic. Think about it. They are in boats that the elves give them, and then the ones the dead army ride in. Sam basically tells Frodo he will "Never LEt go" when he carries him to the top of Mount Doom or whatever in Mordor. Love story between Aragon and Arawyn. LOTR is Titanic!! Who would of thought.