Wednesday, June 11, 2008

it must be told!

Last week there seemed to be extra amounts of traffic everywhere I went. At some points it seemed to be like a third world country. On the news I heard about extreme accidents and things that made transportation difficult for many. No matter where I turned there were three times as many cars or people as there normally would be. I'm not sure what's been going on-why that is-but I've learned to relax a little. I've also been reminded that I've been carrying my camera in my bag and I should take advantage of this.

So one morning last week there was a huge fire in Boston. An old restaurant that's been around since Paul Revere made his famous ride burnt to a crisp one evening and as a result a major exit was blocked getting into the city. I didn't know any of this as I started out on my commute. I realized something was terribly wrong when it took me 15 minutes to merge onto the freeway. This is where my funny story begins. As I enter the freeway I do some fancy maneuvering and try to get into the lane that looks like it's moving the fastest. As I do so I notice a little red car moving toward the right shoulder with it's front left tire completely flat. I look at the poor soul and thought to myself, "man, that sucks!" I've always been really empathetic. I was grateful that it wasn't me. I could already tell it was going to be a rough morning and to have something else on top of that--it's uncalled for. 45 minutes later I have gone maybe a mile and I notice the same little red car on the shoulder where I have finally arrived and the driver was now changing his tire. I looked, confused at the time/distance and all the work I'd been doing to get to where I was and how this man was just as far as I was WITH his flat tire. He was now just loosening the bolts. I drove on thinking that the man was probably wise and took advantage of the opportunity to drive on the shoulder for a while and pass a ton of cars.

So I drive on. Another 40 minutes or so go by and I'm now another mile or so up the road. At this point, I'd already called in late to work, called several friends to see if they want to go to breakfast and I'd exit the freeway and just get to work when I got there. No one could meet me which was probably a good thing. I called my dad and we talked for a while. As I was talking to my dad something amazing happened! Sweet mother of mystery!!!! The little red car appeared in the lane next to me!!! I KNOW!!!! I've been sitting on the freeway for nearly two hours and i have not gone very far. This man was able to pull off the road, change his friggin tire, and now he was in a lane that was actually passing me. My dad told me I should probably get behind him and follow his maneuvering through traffic.

I was laughing out loud at the slap in the face that this was to me. Then I remembered I had my camera!!! By now I was in a good lane that was going to pass up all the traffic and he was further right. So I did my best. It was right as I was entering the tunnel so I had to act quickly and all good opportunities were lost earlier. But here is his. The stupid red car that pretty much mocked me and the other fools around me. I'm still puzzled by the whole thing.

6 comments:

Lady Bills said...

this woman at my work keeps saying that all the crappy traffic and bad stuff happening is because mercury is in retro-grade! phew... i am so glad we figured that out!

Inger said...

Linda, that is why some people are taking the train ... like your dad! I guess we all would like to know the "secret of the driver in the red car". That sounds like a move title or a book title to me. How does he/she do it?? I bet HE or SHE was not late for work!

The Thomas Family said...

Funny!

Likely said...

I hate when that kind of stuff happens. I hate it when you see a guy on a bike and then you get to a long stoplight line and there goes MR. Guy on a bike right past you. and then it happens again at the next four lights.... Why don't I ride a bike???? I need one with a little sidecar with tow wee seats in it. Can you see me riding one of those?

Sorry for your bummer day!

Tiff Rueckert said...

I love it Linda! I always think I have fancy moves, but if I'd just stay in one lane...I'd probably never be late either! I read your comment on Sarah's blog about brielle and her little black baby and I had to tell you...when given the choice of ALL the cabbage patch dolls, she always chooses the little black babies. This has happened on several occasions and she's even told me "mommy, she is just SO cute," so there you have it! What's funny is... she's right!

Inger said...

I too noticed Brielle's little baby. She is such a mommy. Where she holds Claire AND her brother's hand as well. And also on the ride where she sits so close to that new little friend and she has a friendly smile on her face. She is such a nice little girl. May she always maintain that wonderful and friendly spirit. She is precious.