Friday, August 31, 2007

Something to note

Today a question came up at work. I thought I'd share the answer with all of you because I am so easily irritated at poor grammar, written or spoken (not that I think I'm that great--don't get me wrong, but there are some things people should know). This is one I wasn't sure about. Check it out...

A traditional rule holds that in behalf of and on behalf of have distinct meanings. Accordingly, you should use in behalf of to mean “for the benefit of,” as in We raised money in behalf of the earthquake victims. And you should use on behalf of to mean “as the agent of, on the part of,” as in The guardian signed the contract on behalf of the child. But as the two meanings are quite close, the phrases are often used interchangeably, even by reputable writers.

I just found it interesting.
You're welcome.

7 comments:

Allison said...

i love grammar stuff. so many rules.

The Thomas Family said...

Hm!

Likely said...

On behalf of David and myself, we thank you.

Good clarification. I was made fun of once because I was reading a grammar book during leisure reading time. The two other teachers I was with wouldn't let me live it down.

It's interesting to me too.

Anonymous said...

This is a very good point!
I love this kind of stuff.
"On Behalf of my whole family, we thank you"

Tiff Rueckert said...

I love you and your blog linda! Please come stay with us soon, we would love it! You can have Brielle's big girl room!

Lindsey from The R House said...

i feel smarter already!

miss lena's pie said...

LINDA!

I am reading through your blog this summer to get an update on your life, it's so exiting! :) I really want to keep in touch better, I have been so bad at replying and writing, I'm so sorry. I love you an miss you tons! //Lena