Saturday, August 4, 2007

St. Lawrence River

I just got back from an amazing trip to the St. Lawrence River on the border of New York and Canada. My sister and her family vacation there every summer with her in-laws. They all gather at their homes there and go swimming, boating, skiing, wake boarding, and spend time with each other. My sister and her family live in California and this was a great chance for me to drive to meet them. It was also my birthday. We had so much fun together and I can't even express how beautiful it was there!! Here I am as they gave me a little tour in their boat around the different islands there. There are some castles on a few islands that have now become tourist attractions. This is the biggest one. There were bigger cruise/tour boats around these islands.
Here are all my adorable nephews. They are the sweetest cutest boys! They were all so nice to me and didn't want me to leave. We played hard everyday!!
I am kayaking with Jonathan and Eric while Danny and Mark canoe next to us. The island is called Ozone (where my sisters house is) and we would go around the island. It's small; the perfect size for these boys to go around.
This is the dock where I was picked up. I parked and then waited to see the boat coming towards me. I couldn't believe how it was so hot yet the water and breeze made it so comfortable. It was a little paradise.
Then I saw Elise and two of her boys coming to claim me. I never ever thought Elise would drive any kind of boat. She is becoming a very seasoned river-goer.
The first day I was there we spent some time helping the boys ski a little off this boat. It worked great because It went slower and helped ease the boys into the idea of being pulled by a boat. They were a little nervous at first, but thanks to a specially designed ski/wake board for children, they experienced success!
Here is their house. It was so beautiful. A part of it was a cabin that was built in the earlier 1900's for some rich guys lawyer. When my brother-in-laws parents bought the island years ago, they designed the house to incorporate the cabin. My pictures don't do a good job of showing that off. I love how the dock is right at the house! It made for incredible dreams as I heard boats fly in the distance and the resulting waves crash by my window.

This was my birthday party! It doesn't get any better than that. Brownies and ice cream and four fantastic kids who really like me!! Danny made me a bracelet that I wore the whole week and it never came off! One of the best presents ever!
Cheesing it up!! Jonathan wanted to take a bunch of pictures, so here I am with the present I just received. My nephews are all trained in the art of taking pictures. There is a chorus of "cheese" held out for a long time. It's hilarious because they'll say it yet they need to be convinced to stop what they're doing and look at the camera.

We BBQ'd on the tip of Atlantis (where Dan's Brother's house is) and all of their cousins came to play. There was a great swimming area and a beautiful sunset.

I have to include this!!! This is Dan's Brothers boat. Doug's brand new boat as my nephews called it. This cigarette boat is made for racing. The day I got there Doug was out in his boat with an instructor teaching him the correct way to drive it to optimize the boats capabilities. He took us for ride the next day. We went flying down the St. Lawrence River going over 100 mph!! It was insane!! Some of my hair came lose and it hurt to have it whipping around my face!! When we got back to the dock one of my nephews was fast asleep--how is that possible?!?! This was a definite highlight!!

This is my sister Elise and me. She is my oldest sister and I really enjoyed the chance to sit and talk with her and her husband Dan after the boys went to bed. They were so willing to help me come up with new ideas in my job search and the interview process. We talked about so much and it was truly enjoyable!!


6 comments:

Amanda said...

FUNNN!!!!!
arghh, i wish i could come up!
Dumb play ruins everything :(
I'm glad you had fun!!
I can't wait untill you come out here!!

The Thomas Family said...

Jeez, I am seriously so jealous. It looks like a fabulous trip, I forget what it looks like up there. I'm so glad you had a great time and I want to see the bracelet Danny made for you!! You look great!

Anonymous said...

What a great account of your trip. We enjoyed every word and every picture. I am so glad you had a great time. Thank you for the great write up. We loved it!

Rachel said...

You're so hot Linda, and always doing fun things!! Teach me of your beautiful ways...

Allison said...

this looks like the best trip ever. that boat is insane! your birthday looked like it was fun, i just wish i could have been there! summer is so great!! love you!

Likely said...

wish I looked as good as you did at the river. I looked like a beached whale. a pregnant one at that!

I need to post pics soon. I am so bad at uploading. I am always behind.