Sunday, March 16, 2008

I confess...

3/14 I've been a swimmer since I was a wee girl. In high school I was competing a lot in summer and winter. I became accustomed to shaving very often. I know some swimmers grow it out to help create drag, but I've never been one of those crazy people. I like my legs bic'd. When I moved away to college I wasn't swimming as regularly. When cooler weather rolled around I remember thinking, "huh! I don't have to shave!" Not true, Not true!! I soon discovered that I cannot sleep at night if my legs are prickly. My roommates soon learned that sometimes I'll just have to take a shower at 2 am if I want to sleep. I have come a long way though. Sometimes I can go three days and still be OK. After 4 I can become desperate. I have also learned that sometimes when I get stressed with work or whatever--my life--my nighttime shaving rituals can help me de-stress and I feel more refreshed, even clear. And yes, it's 2am.

3/15 When I was in middle school I would write stories. Well, maybe I should say I'd start writing stories. I'm not sure if any were ever finished, but I had a few. I read a lot and I remember thinking I'd like to write stories. I don't remember any of the stories now, but I just know I had notebooks filled with junk. I also remember my sister Sarah, using one of my stories for an English assignment. I'm sure she jazzed it up and made it work for her assignment (pretty sure this was when she was in high school--Mr Simmers Sarah?) I think it was a story about a girl named Shannon who was going to a party. I'm pretty impressed that I remember this. It just came to me today. There is a chance those notebooks are at home in box...perhaps where they should stay. Gosh I hope those stories never surface!

3/16 The reason I thought of those stories was because I was having some trouble sleeping--2 am, legs now smooth--and I've been wondering if perhaps I should choose another career. I've become a little overwhelmed lately with my clients and so I was laying awake wondering what other jobs I would like to do. That brought me back to my dream career of childhood. I also need to recognize that It's really late, I've now worked 14 days in a row for at least 8 hours a day--some longer, and I'm DONE!! It's exhausting. (Ironically, Amy Winehouse's Rehab just started playing...seriously I cannot get away from my work!! OK, I just put on America.) I do really love the field I am in. I need to find some new outlets, new supports if you will. Lately I've been working a lot, it's intense, and when I get home it all just sits in my head. I'm carrying it and I've always been able to leave it, so something has changed and it needs to change back!! No worries people, I'm on it. Just as soon as I can get my mind to relax long enough to fall asleep.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

SARAH here--
* ME TOO. I have to shave every other day! I can't stand the feel of prickly legs, especially under jeans. Ouch. It is such a pain sometimes because showers get long and I wish I didn't care like most girls, but... yeah, it's for me, no one else.
*Yes, I stole one of your stories. It was called "Three Weeks of Hopeful Wishing" about Shannon being really excited to go to a party with the most popular girls in school... that's how far you got. I didn't know how to end it so I just put that she got the flu and wasn't able to even go! Sad, huh? It was for 6th grade English, Mr. Katsu and he liked it because it was very realistic! Ha!
*Well, I just got back from a Social Work Conference with Kate (she was representing the college she works for). Anyway, I was looking at all the displays and I thought of you and dad. I think it is so interesting and then it makes me so sad that people have such hard lives and have really hard, horrible things happen to them. It would be a hard field for me... and no kidding, you would have to leave your work in the office.
I think you are good at what you do, though, and you really make an impact in people's lives.

Amanda said...

Wowie, guys. You sure get up early. ha! Sarah, what time was it in canada when you posted that monster comment?!
Anyway Linda, im with you guys too. I get grossed out if my legs are prickly. Ha! And especially for swimming, it's become a pain.

Don't choose another career, Loo!
You're awesome at what you do now. Even though you may not LOVE the stuff you have to do, it will seriously pay off in the end. And the more you work, the more days you can take off to come see me! ;)
Love you!

The Thomas Family said...

Monster comment... that was funny punum.
I think it was just 11:00 pm my time so it shows 1:00 am your time! Whoaaaa!

Mary said...

Linda, if you're up and need to spew, call me. I'm always up. 2a.m., whatevs.

Linda said...

ok, Mary!! I was up ALL NIGHT last night. I left a comment for you on your blog!

Amanda, sometimes I still think you're like 5. So your comment threw me-you've got some mad wit, and apparently bic'd legs!

Sarah--I was hoping you wouldn't leave all the details of my terrible story. But I'm glad you had teachers who liked "your" work. Mine never did. :)