Monday, April 16, 2007

Marathon--Schmarathon

that's what I say!!

I've met people who love to mention that they've run the Boston Marathon. And I have been impressed and often baffled at the fact that they did! "Really? You ran the marathon?" Thinking "you get winded walking to the mailbox" Miracles do happen!

Today, Patriot's Day, proved to be another wonderful year for happy little running people flocking to the area. I have always been impressed by people who discipline themselves and accomplish such a task (although it's completely unhealthy...I could talk about that for a while). It is still an amazing accomplishment. WOW!

The marathon goes right by Boston College where I attend graduate school. Today the library I needed to visit opened at 3. At about 3:30 I venture that way, forgetting that the marathon was rain delayed. When I get to Comm Ave I notice that the opposite side of the road still has people "running" the marathon. I drove very slowly staring at all the people WALKING DOWN A HILL.

Wait a second, I thought.

There are a TON of people walking!

All those liars! Those people who brag about running the marathon...liars. I realize that there are many who do, in fact, RUN the marathon. Good for them. (crazies). But still, seeing the procession of walkers just sucked some of the prestige out of the marathon for me.

I may no longer be as impressed. ANYONE can walk 26 miles. I don't care if you ran the first 10.

bottom line. I'm disappointed.

3 comments:

Whits said...

You didn't see the elite women & elimite men. They finished at noon & 12:30. The people that were at BC at 3 & 3:30 were the last of the last. Yeah, they walk but they still run most of it. And walking down a hill is a super good idea if you don't want to blow out your knees. :)

Linda said...

Ok, so I know it's bad for your knees to run down hill. And I also know there are many people who run and it was windy and bad weather....etc.

I'm just saying I built this up in my mind as this marathon of marathons and people who do boston are hard core. It was something different in my mind. I hate realizing my belief system is inaccurate.

Good for all those walkers who blocked the road and made it so I couldn't get to my campus. :)

sorry.

Lady Bills said...

dude... isn't that heartbreak hill... over by bc??? heartbreak wouldn't even come close to expressing how painful it must be to run run run... then all of a sudden come up against a DISGUSTING 5 mile incline.

you're such a judger linda... sheesh!