Monday, April 23, 2007

SO HAPPY!!

I had a fabulous weekend. It has been raining here for so long, not just raining, but so so cold! Finally, the clouds broke away and the sun appeared and the earth was warmed!! It was a beautiful thing. Friday I went for a long run through Arlington and loved every minute of it. I missed a few of my favorite running buddies (shout out to Lauren and Annette) but I was then able to treasure the solitude. It was one of those runs where you just bask in the music and enjoy the interesting people you pass on the trail. I never thought about how far I'd gone or how long I'd been running or what I have to do when I get back. It was pure, blissful freedom.

Saturday was another fantastic day! It was again beautiful! I met a friend in Harvard Square for lunch and we were able to go all over Harvard campus and the business school. He was my tour guide (I'd been on campus but never really got any of the interesting factoids). The only down side was that I was wearing some great shoes!! These cute espadrilles from Anthropology did not really qualify for the walking tour. There were a few points where I was certain the straw foot bed had rubbed appropriately through the first few layers of my feet. I thought a few times that my feet could be bleeding--if not blistering really really well. BUT, I never said a word because I really was enjoying my tour.

I got home around 4 and decided that I had to bust out of these shoes and quickly return to Harvard to watch the end of the Harvard lacrosse game. I cannot believe this was my first Harvard game--been meaning to go, but you know how it is--so again I was able to bask in the solitude and enjoy the last quarter and a half of the game. Harvard played Sacred Heart and it was just what I needed. I LOVE this game! It is so fast paced and there are so many sweet plays. These players have been conditioned in the lacrosse lifestyle and it was so refreshing to be there. It reminded me of high school...in a good way :)

Another thing I found interesting was the lacrosse crowd. When I arrived I sat down in an area of the Colosseum that was fairly empty. Before long a group of people came and sat around me. They were obviously cheering for their Sacred Heart player son/brother/friend. These people were a perfect example of lacrosse family lifestyle. For those of you who do not understand what this is I will try to explain...well, I actually don't know if I have the words. But here is a photo of the guy who sat down near me.

I should have taken more pictures but I was surrounded by the family. But what you cannot see was his mother in her perfectly ironed kacki pants, light blue blouse with a cardigan. This guys belt had flags all over it, his little sister was probably 12 or so who was also obviously a up and coming star of the game. Everyone was concentrating on the set ups, the plays, the calls...it was beautiful!! I can't really explain it. You never really have to tell a true lacrosse family to shut up and watch the game. They know all the details and they honor good plays regardless of the team they're favoring. We just want to see good skills and good calls.

I was really really happy.

As I left I called my brother David and told him where I was and what I was doing. I also told him that HE MUST come to Boston this weekend for the final Harvard lacrosse game this Saturday at 2 against Yale! I'll be there and I want him to come too. We'll dress up in our finest east coast lacrosse watching attire and invite our lacrosse buddies to come too. I'm so excited!! He said he'd ask his wife (come on Tiffany!!!! Please?).

1 comment:

Lady Bills said...

i am so there... i don't know if i have attire yuppie enough... but we'll make it work.

it would be a total plus to have dave and tiff there too!