Thursday, June 14, 2007

Contributing Member of Society

I don't have a job right now. I graduated less than a month ago and at first it was fun. I went to lakes and ponds and beaches, went for long runs and played tennis. Life was beautiful!! After a while this kind of life gets old. And I've been watching LOST. I don't have a TV, nor do I watch a lot of it, so for me to tackle the first two seasons of this show is a huge big life change for me (maybe it's just that it's been a cold, cloudy week and playing outside isn't my favorite option) but nonetheless I have started to feel like I am a consumer, an absorber of resources, that I offer nothing.

This morning I decided (after watching like 4 episodes of LOST--kill me!) that I don't want to be a consumer any more. I am a productive, contributing member of society!! So I will get out of bed before 11 (decided at 12:30 --slight lie) and that I KNOW there are other things that I contribute although unemployed...

1. I can speak properly, read and write
2. I don't add to the obesity problem in our country-yet
3. I keep the environment clean by not smoking
4. I dispose of my trash in proper trash receptacles
5. I pile all my recycling near the trash can, but not IN the trash, so my roommates can take it out when they can't stand the piles anymore.
6. I try not to horrify others by avoiding such combinations as: jean shorts and loafers (with socks), open toe shoes with nylons, 90's plaid flannel with anything, and other such goodies.
7. I provide others with fun things to do on their days off.
8. I decided to pretend I don't have a car this week so I've been walking more (see #2) and using less gas (more because I don't want to pay for the gas, but I'm counting it)
9. I'm a potential risk for skin cancer so I can help out with scientific advancements in that area.
10. I'm available during the day to do such things as: watch landlords animals and plants, drive friends to and from the airport...when I'm not pretending I don't have a car
11. I'm great company!

This is valuable stuff!!

4 comments:

NatAttack said...

Linda--I LOVE IT.

Lauren said...

see you are good for somethings! let me add some more:
12. take you pal Lauren to soccer and stay to watch a bit. just seeing your smiling face along the sidelines was enough.
13. play tennis with your pal Lauren- she really needed you.
14. going for ice cream with your friend Lauren and letting her pay- teaching her how to be giving.

Allison said...

you are a great contributor to society. you are a great friend, especially to me!

Seth said...

I think you should count the fact that you aren't old, so you are not contributing to the overloaded and underfunded social security and medicare crisis. Thank you Linda, thank you.