Friday, June 29, 2007

My First EVER Race!!

Yesterday I participated in my first ever fun-run/race along the Charles River. I am not a great runner. I am a swimmer. BUT I like to run on occasion and so I thought it would be enjoyable to participate in this 4 mile race. While doing so I discovered a few things...

1. I am more competitive than I think.
2. Tree roots can be dangerous obstacles!
3. It's a lot more fun to run with someone than run alone.
4. It is really hard to try to grab a cup of water as you run (and drink it? or do most people just pour it on their heads or faces? still trying to figure that out)
5. The Charles is BEAUTIFUL!!
6. I feel bad littering and carried the stupid plastic cup instead of throwing it on the ground.
7. There are a lot of cool young adults in the Boston area and this was a great way to meet some.
8. I really need new shoes!!
9. Although in the process I knew I was running at a faster pace than usual, and I was getting pretty tired and just wanted to walk the rest of the way, I kept it up and finished in like 38 minutes...not too bad for my first ever, right?
10. I still don't think a half or full marathon will ever be something I'll do--well, maybe a half...wait that's like 13 miles? NO. No I won't. But good for all you people who dig that kind of thing.

I will however be participating in the breast cancer research mile open water swim on the cape again this august. Anyone can swim with me if they want! Just something to think about.

5 comments:

Mooney said...

with ya on the whole swimming over running thing.

Seth said...

Not a swimmer or a runner. Can we still be friends?

Victoria said...

Races are addicting, there is just so much energy!!!
The secret with drinking is to fold the cup in half and drink from the point.
It isn't littering if someone is going right after you to clean up...i think it is actually really fun...but that is an evil secret of mine, ekk!

Linda said...

of course seth! as long as you dance with me.

Allison said...

what amazing discoveries. i have also always wondered how runners drink while they run. i can't even walk and drink at the same time.