Monday, July 2, 2007

Tennis Prom

Last summer I participated in a tennis tournament that some friends were putting together. I really love tennis and when my friend announced he was organizing a mixed doubles tournament a friend and I quickly signed up.

Now let me say here that I LOVE LOVE LOVE tennis. Loving tennis does not necessarily mean that I have ever participated in competitive tennis. I play for fun with friends whenever they can play with me. I don't have a powerful serve, I don't really have a powerful arm or fantastic angles, but I can play. I know the rules, I can serve in the box and return serves and rally. So I consider myself decent, but not good, with me?

So my partner last year was MUCH better than I was. And the first people we played were really good. My partner was probably better but because he was playing with me, we lost. It was kind of fun, but I do hate losing just because I suck worse than someone else.

About a month ago the emails began again for our tennis tournament. This time when I got the email, I thought that if someone really wanted to play with me then I was willing. But I wasn't really eager to be a part of the tournament again. I never responded to the emails, Never. I swear. A few of my tennis friends were pretty excited to play and began frantically looking for tennis partners. I sat with one friend (a really good player) as she sent text messages to any potential partners. When she got one and they arranged to play together she immediately started to wonder if he was going to help her win. She then started to plan a way to assess the skills of this partner and what other options there might be (We're all pretty competitive people) Another friend reported to me her efforts to find available partners reporting that many had been recruited already.

With all this going on, a few friends and I now refer to this event as tennis prom. It just seems kind of silly. I sat back observing thinking how glad I was that I decided previously that I'd play if someone wants a partner, but I'm not asking ANYONE to tennis prom. NO WAY!!

So imagine my surprise when a few weeks later an email went out identifying the registered pairs for the tournament. On this list was 20 or so pairs ready to play and then it identified the "solo" entries. There I was. I read it and wondered how that happened because I know I never responded to this email...let alone without a partner. I was listed as going stag to tennis prom!!! What!?!?!

There were four solo men and four solo women registered. We were encouraged to team up and play. By now I really wanted nothing to do with it, but then as I thought a bit more about it I found it funny. This isn't the first time I've been "signed up" for something unawares. I was also recently signed up for a beach trip that I didn't sign up for. I was out of town...PROOF that something weird is going on.

So now I'm playing in this tournament. It'll be fun, but now I have to deal with my competitive nature again in a sport that I'm not really good at. It'll be good for me. Learning to lose graciously!

5 comments:

Devon said...

You can do stag Linda! have confidence. Remember the one time we ended up playing tennis after talking about it for months? You were awesome. Remember to wear those awesome shades though and you will be fine. I miss you and I miss 50 St. James Ave minus Mark Cooper.

Lady Bills said...

linda maybe you have a secret crush who keeps signing you up for stuff in hopes that you'll fall for it and be there, so he can stare into your beautiful blue eyes!

Likely said...

"but I do hate losing just because I suck worse than someone else."

Isn't this always why we lose? ha ha.

Tennis Prom! That is such a funny term for it Linda, leave it to you to be hilarious.

I wish I could watch. I would dress up as the Queen herself. Take pictures and dres up!

Linda said...

not always tiffany, sometimes you lose because you were out-played...meaning didn't perform to your full ability...and then also when you just suck.

But nice idea!! I'll at least throw together a tennis tiara/visor...maybe a sash...I can see it now!!

NatAttack said...

Linda. Girl, this freakin' cracked me up. Maybe you and I can share a square dance if either of us make it past the first round!