Sunday, June 24, 2007

My Poor Car

One of the glorious things about being home is that I don't have to pay for much! I don't have to drive much either. It's so nice. This week my brothers car was having some trouble so I told him he could take mine one night if it would simplify his life a little. He took me up on my offer. He's been building his deck on his house. Poor guy! It sounds like really strenuous work. (sure glad I could offer my car and not my pink princess hands)

Two days after my brother borrowed my car I drove to his house with my mother to return his child (we'd taken him a few days) and to pick up my car. When I was leaving and got in my car a very foul odor emerged from somewhere. It smelled so so so so so bad!!! I think I'm kind of sensitive to smells. My first thought was my brother was out working all day, smelly, gross and took MY car to go get lunch!!! Sick!! My whole car is contaminated with his disgustingness!!! I rolled down all my windows and hoped my car would air out a bit on the way home.

To my huge disappointment, the next morning I left to go swimming and my car did not smell any better. Again, I rolled down all my windows and hoped air would flush the horrific smell outside. When I got home later I decided I needed to do more for my little car. Her name is Ruby and there's a story behind that, but another day. Ruby deserves more!! So I emptied everything out of my car, removed the floor mats and started cleaning out my car. I thought maybe some food was under the seat baking away---I had no idea what could smell so bad. There was no food under the seat, although I found ten bucks!!!!!!!! I needed that!

When I removed the rear floor mats I noticed one of them was damp. Gross. What could that be from? I had no idea. Go on cleaning. Car still REEKS!!!! I open the trunk. Hmm, the trunk. Not a lot in there. But this time there was something in there. A few weeks ago I went to play tennis with a couple of friends. One of the boys who came to play with us brought with him a gallon jug of water filled almost to the top. I remember after tennis, when I got my racket out of my trunk, that he had left this jug in there. I remember thinking, "I should move that." Let's call that a prompting...which I ignored.

As I looked into my trunk I discovered this jug of water on its side, cap off, and trunk very very wet. I also recognized the source of the stench. Not knowing how to really fix this problem, I grabbed a towel and tried to dry out what was left to dry out and I left all my windows down and trunk open for two days. I also took a special trip to the store to see if maybe fabric fabreeze could help me out.

Four days later, the smell is much better, but not entirely eliminated. I'm still working on it. But I have confidence that Ruby will recover. It was so bad!!!!

and I'm sorry Dave, for blaming you.

4 comments:

spoonfulL said...

i miss you. please come home. i don't care if you bring your arranged husband with you. just come back.

Rachel said...

yeah, it's pretty hard getting the car funk out. good luck with that.

Likely said...

You better be sorry! My husband doesn't stink that bad! (although sometimes on a rare occasion he does, and he blames it on Morfar's Swedish B.O.)

I once left a gallon of milk in my trunk in college after unloading groceries. It exploded. You can imagine the rest of the story.

Double yuck.

Anonymous said...

I am also surprised with the twist in the story. I woud've put my money on Dave and Morfars B.O.