Sunday, February 11, 2007

Greeting Cards and Ward Stare

Once upon a time I discovered that I LOVE cards. There is a certain brand of cards that I find especially hysterical. Fresh ink? Yeah, so sometimes I'll just go and look at these cards to see what's new and to purchase more of old goodies. So about five years ago I discovered my FAVORITE CARD OF ALL TIME!!!! No joke. It will probably never be replaced; it's that good. I held onto the card for about three years just waiting for the right moment to give it away. One day, a friend of mine was having a difficult time. He was probably breaking up with some girl and was having a hard time, who knows. But because I care so much about my friends, I decided that I would write something in this precious card and give it to him. Long story short, card gone!!!! I never really got over the loss of that card. I've been searching for it ever since!

TODAY!!!! My dear friend Jenni came up to me at church and told me she had a gift for me (she's been with me in card stores searching for this card and knew what I was looking for.) She gives me the card!!! It made my whole week! Let me try to describe this card for you...

Front: light, sloppy drawing of the top of a girls head (eyes and above). sassy eyes, stunning hair, and a little tiara with glitter and even a small sequin on top.

front caption reads:

I should've been Homecoming Queen.
But I'm over it now.

Open card.

But I should've been.

That's it. I LOVE it. It's like me in card form.

So today at church I'm showing this to everyone and we are all laughing about how funny this card is. It sounds so silly, but it really is one of the greatest things EVER!!!

This prompted some discussion. We should have a homecoming or prom court!! Just for fun. Nominate people, or something? Maybe? NO.

I have a better idea.

I think we should put together a creative list of superlatives. Just like high school year book. We could have a lot of fun with this. But it also sounds like a lot of work and I'm NOT in high school anymore. Maybe it's not such a great idea. Hmm, but it's something to think about at our next ward-stare.

Which brings me to my next thought of the day. Munch and Mingle? Linger Longer?
No my friends, It's a Ward Stare.

Stare:

1. to gaze fixedly and intently, esp. with the eyes wide open.
2. to be boldly or obtrusively conspicuous: The bright modern painting stares out at you in the otherwise conservative gallery.
3. to stare at: to stare a person up and down.
4. to effect or have a certain effect on by staring: to stare one out of countenance.
5. a staring gaze; a fixed look with the eyes wide open: The banker greeted him with a glassy stare.
6. stare down, to cause to become uncomfortable by gazing steadily at one; overcome by staring: A nonsmoker at the next table tried to stare me down.
7. stare one in the face, to be urgent or impending; confront: The income-tax deadline is staring us in the face.

Just something to think about.

11 comments:

Lady Bills said...

i can't stop staring at you. really. i can't. and yes... you should have been homecoming queen. end of discussion.

Whits said...

I should have been prom queen. Let's be honest.

Colleen said...

PLEASE CAN WE MAKE A LP2 YEARBOOK?!

Michael Visser DMD said...

I vote for Linda for Ward homecoming queen, and I vote for Cyrus for Ward homecoming king.

miss lena's pie said...

hahahahahahah...so funny and Im laughing through the whole this thing you just wrote about. MAN! I miss you and boston, I should live there, you know. Youre just gonna have to send those dates over here and one of them will marry me and ship me over.

You are so great. I just have this lovely feeling now and I know I will dream pleasant dreams because I peeked in on your blogg. :)

ju said...

i like to it as "meet and masticate"

Cheesecake said...

for the record Linda i had just broken up with a girl, not "or something." I really appreciated the card, it was proudly displayed at my house for a long time. if you wanted it back all you had to do is say I was borrowing it!!

Linda said...

KEEG!!! I didn't want it back from you! I just missed it and wished I could find another because it was that brilliant!!

If you all want a queen, let's make it happen!

A yearbook would be just absurd enough it might work!!

Lena! Love your guts!

Michael Visser DMD said...

Ok, I REDACT my vote for Cyrus, and vote for Brian as homecoming king. I would also like to nominate Tim Connor for "most likely to beat up Chuck Norris"

Linda said...

Mike...hmm, is Cyrus in the dog house?

Chris Rueckert said...

1995 - I was on the Prom court and won best eyes even though I was tied with someone else for most athletic. You were only allowed to win one category. I don't care anymore, I'm over it... even though I was more athletic.