Friday, February 23, 2007

irregardless and other words that should be avoided

I realize this may not be a big deal, however, It gets on my nerves!

IRREGARDLESS?

I've heard it used several times and every time it makes me cringe mentally. I heard it again a few days ago and it's been dwelling on my mind. Why does this bother me? well....

1. unnecessary
2. isn't that a double negative?
3. does the ir and the less cancel each other out? But then it leaves it "regarding" and that's never how it's used!
4. it is used as one would say regardless and regardless makes a lot more sense!

Since I'm a nerd (finally! this is just one of MANY things that that constitute my nerdiness) I thought dictionary.com might shed light on the topic. I also needed to know if my pet peeve was irrational (NOT RATIONAL):

Irregardless is considered nonstandard because of the two negative elements
ir- and -
less. It was probably formed on the analogy of such words as irrespective,
irrelevant, and irreparable. Those who use it, including on occasion educated speakers, may
do so from a desire to add emphasis. Irregardless first appeared in the early 20th century
and was perhaps popularized by its use in a comic radio program of the 1930s.

I like how it agrees with me and then renders it usable. I don't understand that. Perhaps dictionary.com will tell us more? Here are a few highlights taken in the context I want:

* Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style,
when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing.
* it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and
regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix
in a single term.
* it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

VALIDATION!!! Thank you. I feel so much better.

Other words that just get on my nerves (short list of ones I actually recall, I try to ignore and forget others as much as possible) although I doubt I will ever find a valid reason for my irritation:

MOIST--sick. just sick.
OINTMENT--maybe I hate the oi sound?
PANTIES--yeah, just...ew.
CRISP--when describing the weather
the C word. I cannot write it. Good luck figuring that out. For some it's obvious, for others...you're hopeless!
PLEATHER--obviously
CLEARLY--when overused
OBVIOUSLY--are you sure? I just hate that. (yet I probably overuse it as well)
PUS--a gross word

Phrases like these make me want to lash-out:
COMING TO A HEAD--are you kidding me?!?!?!?!
WE'RE PREGNANT!--for some reason I just don't think so Buddy!
WHEN ALL IS SAID AND DONE/AT THE END OF THE DAY--interesting ones
KICKING AGAINST THE PRICKS--not really sure why, maybe cause I don't get it. I used to think it was bricks, which in my mind made a lot more sense
any thing that begins like, "NO OFFENSE...BUT..." or "I AGREE TO AN EXTENT BUT..." no! actually you DO NOT agree (which is fine, just own it) and you're also telling me I should probably be offended by what you are going to say but you don't really care! Thanks. Cool.

There are SO SO SO many more. I'll probably be thinking about this for the rest of the weekend. I just know there are more that should make the top of the list.

7 comments:

Colleen said...

AYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEEEEEE.

Also, the spanish word: "hamburguesa"

gross.

Lady Bills said...

no offence but, irregardless of your crisp intent... i will kick against the pricks and tell you that i am obviously scared of what i will say now when i try to tell you about the oinment i bought for the pus coming from the wound on my arm!

Jeje said...

You're awesome, Linda. The Dean of my school used "irregardless" in a lecture last year and it drove me nuts!

ANJ said...

how about nipples, and by extension, naples? blech. shudder.

Whits said...

vicea versa instead of vice versa and for all intents and purposes.

GROSS

Cheesecake said...

I just mostly hate people that feel they have the right to Add or Omit syllables. Also those that do not say the word the way it is spelled, "nuclear" is probably the most commonly mispronounced word I can think of. incidentally that is PRO-BAB-LY not "probly" or "prolly"

Chris Rueckert said...

Please don't ever say:
That something is "less desirable"
"I'm beating around the bush"
"Net net"net net"net net"net net"
"That's the bottom line"
"Neanderthal"
"Ensign" pronounced "Ensin"
Mou'in - Mountain
Bri'on - Brighton