Monday, February 26, 2007

Music a la Designer Impostor Perfume

I borrowed this from my fantastic sister-in-law Tiffany, because It's a great game! My love of music is enhanced because of her and other friends who love music. We often swap new found joys and little ditty's. I have stumbled upon some of my favorite bands because I went to a concert with a friend or they recommended a CD. It really makes me happy! A few months ago one of my best friends sent me mix of stuff she loves. All REALLY great stuff (thanks Allison!). Some I knew, some not. One I was less familiar with was Stellastarr*. I just bought the CD this weekend. SO SO SO SO SO GOOD!!!!!!! seems rather Cure-like. It's not often I buy I CD that I love this much. It's been a while.

As I've been listening to this CD over and over again, I remember Tiffany again. She started a little game she likes to call "Music a la Designer Impostor Perfume." Remember back when you were younger and you'd get those aerosol spray bottles of "perfume" that said things like, "If you love Georgio, you'll Love Prego" or "If you love Eternity, You'll Love Forever" Or whatever they were. YES!!! This is the game we play with music. It's a great way to link bands and see what we like. We don't always agree with some of the linking, but it's still a great game! So Let's Play!!! I know a lot of my friends around Boston AND ELSEWHERE are huge music lovers as well and could play a round or two.

If you don't know what I mean, Let me give you a few examples. Feel free to disagree...

If you love Nick Drake, You'll probably love Alexi Murdoch.
If you love The Cure, You'll really dig Stellastarr*.
If you like Jimmy Eat World, Promise Ring will probably satisfy.
If Death Cab's your thing, Band of Horses is worth checking out.
If you like Modest Mouse, check out Architecture in Helsinki.

My friend Whitney introduced me to a fun little site: pandora.com You can type in some band or a song you like and then the site will create a playlist type thing of other bands with similar styles. It's interesting to see how they link music. It's a lot of fun to play with.

Tiffany, I'm still searching for a good link for The Innocence Mission.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you are happy, try beirut. if you are smitten, try au revoir simone. if you feel content, try feist. if you are feeling alone, try sia. if you feel like dancing, try css. i really like looking at myspace at different artists. check them out if you haven't heard of them.
i loved talking with you the other day. i miss you and can't wait till you are here. love you.

Linda said...

Allison!!!!

I will see you soon! You are wonderful and I miss you more than you know!