Sunday, February 10, 2008

Confession 2/10

These confessions are going to be a lot harder than I thought.

my confession for this sunday:

When I was a sophmore in high school I had an English teacher named Mr. Simmers. Every spring he planned a fishing trip at Conowingo Dam. This was a special event because there was a hand full of "cool kids" who loved that Mr. Simmers probably smoked more pot than they did. Each year a group would accompany Mr. Simmers and it became quite memorable. I've never been one who loves fishing. This trip, my sophmore year of high school, was my first fishing trip EVER. My friend Tara was dating some guy--one of the afore-mentioned "cool kids" and so we decided to go along. It was all guys and then Tara and I. We didn't have any gear so our friend Pete Fountain (it's amazing how I remember these details) said we could use his as long as we brought our own bait and hooks and stuff. Tara and I decided to head over to a Woolworths nearby (no longer there...is there a woolworths anywhere?). I remember Tara and I looking in the fishing isle trying to decide what we needed. We kept looking at these fake fish looking things that I guess one would use on their line. Do you know what I'm talking about? They're elasticy, colorful fake fish. And they weren't really cheap. Tara and I were debating about what to do when she just looked at me and said, "put it in your pocket." I just looked at her. What?!?!? She just looked back and shook her head, then she slipped one in my pocket and put some her in pockets as well. I didn't know what to do. So I did nothing. We left the store.

I am a shoplifter.

ok, just that one time. never did it again...i don't think. And then Tara and I began the grand tradition of Mr. Simmers fishing trip each spring.

3 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

I love that story. I just read it to Ben and he asked me if I have ever shoplifted. I said no but I have been tempted to go for a handful of bazooka bubblegum at Woolsworth as well!!!

ANyway, you're not alone. Apparently Ben went through a little shopliftin phase... hm.

Likely said...

great story. the fake stretchy fish are called lures. you should have got some live worms. but i guess worms would have been yucky in the pocket.

or some marshmallows.
fish love marshmallows.

Chelsea said...

ok- this one is like 100 hail marys. do it. and i love fishing but not as much as i love reading these lent confessions. I really wanted to do lent this year- and i forgot about it- well that it was happening. i feel horrible. not really, but kinda. so i am going to do half + 4 days lent. you inspire me. So i guess you only have to do 50 HM's now.