Sunday, February 17, 2008

Lent Confession 2/17

When I was in elementary school, in the harsh neighborhoods just outside D.C., I remember fondly library day. I still remember certain mornings my mother sending me off to school reminding me that today I'd go to the library. I had my purple cloth bag I used as a school bag and off I'd skip to school.

What I don't think my mother ever knew was that I'd often check the same two books out of the library. Both were about the up and coming stardom of two female vocalists: Madonna and Cyndi Lauper.
I remember looking through the many photos mezmerized by the fashion and "beauty" that I was in awe of. I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.

I also recall my first music video EVER in 3rd grade. I was at my friend Lavinia's house (she was Indian) and we were watching MTV. I remember Bon Jovi running across the stage, hair flowing in the wind, holding fast to the microphone stand, singing Living On A Prayer. I still love that song!

5 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

Purple cloth bag? Aww... I guess I don't remember that.

So, I didn't know about you loving those books. I do remember you practicing for your 5th grade lip sync "Like A Prayer" and I've loved that song ever since.

The Thomas Family said...

I also remember wondering if it was a bad song and if we shouldn't be listening to it!!

Anonymous said...

I loved Madonna and Cyndi Lauper in third grade too! One day I spent the better part of an hour going back and forth between radio stations, writing down the exact minute "Material Girl" or "Girls Just Want to Have Fun" was played and on which station (apparently I thought stations played the same songs at the same time every day).

If it makes you feel any better, 80s fashions are coming back--so you can again seek to be Madonna's kind of beautiful. I look forward to the results. :-)

Likely said...

Didn't we all want to be laid down on a bed of roses?

I think what you checked out was much cooler than what I checked out: Where the Sidewalk Ends and Magic Books. I made the neighbors come and pay to watch me do magic tricks.

Anonymous said...

I was a huge Shel Silverstein fan, too, Likely. Still am!!