Monday, January 1, 2007

"I'm Done With That"

Last night, for the ringing in of the new year, I went with my family to my brothers house. He lives in FANCY Havre de Grace Maryland. We did the usual low key family gathering stuff: food, talking, food, movie, food, stories, food, singing, food. The list goes on and on. Did I mention food? My parents have a way of living from one meal to the next with great anticipation. Never before has a household placed such value on food (taste and presentation). I have been reminded of this since I've come home this holiday. I am always stuffed and my dad is asking "who wants ice cream!" Which leads me to THE RESOLUTION.

Last night, as we all hung around my brothers house, stuffed just beyond the point of comfort, my father busted out his chocolate cheesecake. "Who wants?" Um, I couldn't even look at him although I let him know as gently as possible (don't want to offend) that I'd be sick if I ate it. Although I encouraged him to eat as much as he possibly could and try to savor every bite. When he asked my mother she said, "I'm done with that." My sister-in-law Tiffany and I bust up laughing thinking that was the GREATEST resolution we had ever heard! The brilliant vagueness of the idea allows for so many options and yet so little opportunity to fail in keeping it. I just may set a resolution after all. For the rest of the night we laughed at all the potential things we could be DONE with. Let me explain what I mean: I am done eating chocolate chip cookies, on Fridays, in February, every other year, when there is at least two inches of snow on the ground. But only between the hours of 2pm-7pm. I'm done with that. Except for when I've had a really great day. Then it does not apply. So a bad day, fridays in february, everyother year, between the hours of 2 and 7 with 2 or more inches of snow on the ground...NO CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES!! I'm seriously done with that! Here are just a few...a small beginning, if you will, of all the things I could possibly be done with. (The details still need to be worked out)

*answering my phone
*having my phone on
*carrying my phone with me
*eating chocolate chip cookies
*saying yes to things I don't want to do
*feeling obligated
*feeling guilty
*feeling sorry
*feeling any sense of dysphoria
*apologizing
*laughing when people are not funny just to avoid an embarrassing silence
*avoiding embarrassment
*planning
*trying to keep in touch
*trying to make people feel good
*trying to please
*trying

oh the list goes on and on...the possiblities are endless and so very exciting!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That should be on a T-Shirt!!

Likely said...

I think I am done beating myself up over stupid things.

I am done being hard on myself.

I love this.... and agree it should be on SOMETHING, a t-shirt, a magnet, a button...

Lady Bills said...

WELCOME TO BLOG-LAND LINDA!!!

i'm done with wearing green socks with my navy blue sailor shirt and pink pom-pom hat in june... wow you are so right, that felt GREAT!

Linda said...

my next post: why I love peggy!

Chris Rueckert said...

I love it when Mom has conviction and stands up for herself. I can hear the tone in her voice..."I'm done with that. yup!"