Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Why am I Proud of Myself Today?

I will tell you!!!

I had a great weekend. I went to Connecticut with a few friends and had an amazing time! I knew it would be a great weekend, but had NO FREAKING IDEA how great! I wanted to tell a certain story here on my blog. But things changed...I could have gone off and told you about the fabulous house on the coast, the thug SUV we got to roll in, the shopping, dancing, movies, dares, sleeping arrangements, food, overrated Pepe's pizza, navigational devices, massage tables, how many people can sleep in a king size bed (if they had to), healing, analyzing, code-breaking, tire-slashing and so many other things worthy of individual blogs--they are that fantastic!!!! BUT I wanted instead to share the HIGHLIGHT of the trip--church on Sunday morning.

So I began to write. I was an English major for my undergrad and really enjoy writing a good story. As I wrote and developed incredible details I had to stop myself!! The idea behind the story was that the speaker in church was like no one I had ever heard before. I really wanted nothing more than to share the details of all the amazing things being said from the pulpit about how difficult marriage was (well her in her marriage). But as I wrote I started to feel really really bad. I felt no joy in telling her story. I figured that the world is small enough. I know someone who knows someone who knows her and it would get spread around and this poor poor girl who obviously is struggling in figuring out what role she wants to play in her life does not need to be mocked by me!! How mean am I?!?!? REALLY!!! I'm not usually so mean and judgmental, so...

That's why I'm so proud of myself today. Learning that if I don't have anything nice to say why pass it along. It wouldn't help me (not therapeutic to write it , it just frustrated me more and brought the original Sunday morning feelings back to the surface), it certainly wouldn't help this girl, and besides, I really doubt I'd be able to do the story justice (it was that over the top, CRAZY!!! I couldn't believe what was happening!). It certainly wouldn't help anyone reading.

To sum it all up: Marriage is hard (so I hear), I'm old (and this girl didn't have to wait as long as me to get married--i think she was 12, OK maybe 19), her x-boyfriend was really photogenic (important detail in the broad scheme of things), marriage is a commandment and we must deal with the consequences of that decision unless someone is abusive (cause apparently that's the only OK reason to get divorced). It was made clear that neither this girl nor her husband were abusive (they were in it for the long haul), yet she felt it OK to abuse all of us listening (OK, I just had to say that one thing) I learned a ton!! and even better...I learned how to not spread unnecessary and cruel personal stories although this girl felt OK sharing it with me! I'm so pleased!! :)

7 comments:

Lady Bills said...

okay, you did a good deed... now tell us! really, what's this girl going to learn if she doesn't eventually, and through the grapvine no less, hear how inappropriate it is to share VERY PERSONAL stories whilst bearing testimony. come on... out with it! i won't tell anyone... {shifty eyes}

Brooke said...

So something else you can be proud of is that YOUR POST is the FIRST time I have ever commented on a blog in my entire life. And on that note, J***** has a special place in my heart this week. If T were taking the pictures, even J would be photogenic. AND one more thing, which is that I realized that I had a new weekend highlight, and it was the amazing and unforgettable compliment of being mistaken for your sister! (No, sir, clearly only one of us is a leggy Scandinavian supermodel, but thanks anyway!!!)

Linda said...

Brooke, I feel Honored!! I'm so happy your first comment was to me! First sounds like there will be more to come, I'll try not to let you down. and you're right, being asked if we were sisters made me feel like a rock star!!

and Peg, the story is all yours, but in person only!! (look, now i'm a gossip) plan is not to share names, this way it's informative and lesson learning...PROGRESS!!!

Colleen said...

Okay, I officially know about your blog and I officially have linked to you.

Consider yourself a daily read.

natalie (keyser) palmer said...

Linders,
you drive me crazy! I really want to know! what is it about gossip that is so .... luring?
but i have to say that below all of my anger, frusteration and unquenchable anxiety lies a certain feeling of peace, knowing that because of you and your gossipless blog, the world is that much of a better place.
props for living by the mormon-ads

Cheesecake said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cheesecake said...

I think that if people put effort into making their own lives interesting, they won't have time to worry about anybody elses! I'm thankful for my friends, some of my family and i leave this with you in the name of . . . .