Friday, January 19, 2007

My Masters

Yes I am in graduate school getting an advanced degree, but that's not what I'm talking about. I used to be pretty darn good at swimming. Not amazing (I'd have done something with that...Olympics) but pretty okay if I do say so myself. When I went away to school swimming dropped of, but recently there has been a resurrection of swimming triumph (I'd like to think, but I'm challenged on that daily). I joined the Cambridge Masters Swim Team...yeah, I know! It's only the best in all of New England. But don't let that fool you, they let anyone in who can pay for it. This picture above is what I used to look like when I was at the top of my game. One thing I'd like to say though, is that I have always loved that swimming was not my life, therefore I've never been amazingly good (sigh). You know how when people are overly dedicated to one thing they become kind of obsessed and crazy? I think you know what I mean, these are band people, orchestra people, overly intense athletes who overly emphasize in one area... They eat, drink, sleep, and breathe whatever their thing is and usually end up sucking the fun out of the activity for others who aren't as psycho. And they limit their circles to those people who are like them, and sorry to go there, but they really aren't all that interesting or fun to be around. The reason I am sharing this is because of how interesting it has been to get back in the water.

My team consists of anyone who really loves and wants to swim. They say all levels of experience are welcome and they do a good job of welcoming all these people. I really love going and am still trying to find my place, because again, it's not my whole life. I'm really not going to cry if I have to leave 15 minutes early or whatever. I also find that I'm the kind of person who likes to joke around, make fun of stuff, mock people who take things too seriously, and just try to find ways to make my life like a Seinfeld episode. I have learned AGAIN that these people are NOT to be played with.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I'm there keeping people from their workout or anything. I'm there to swim too. I'm also not there to make friends (way to many, thank you very much :) But still, can't we at least lighten up a bit? I mean really!

I was a back stroker, I like this picture. This brings me to Godzilla who swam with me today. I had practice from 12-1:30 at Harvard and I really look forward to it. I get there on time and warm up and EVERYTHING!! Friday noon's are hard because we have fewer lanes and a lot of people come. I was excited today because there was one guy and me warming up in the same lane. I new it was too good to be true. Sure enough, when it was time to start the set, apparently the lane arrived. And Godzilla led out. This workout was HARD!! Not that all of you will know what this means, but a few might:

8 100's Descend, 3 500's PULL, 6 100's Descend, 2 500's PULL, 4 100's Descend, 1 500 Pull, 2 100's Descend. That's it. It doesn't sound bad, But that's A WHOLE LOTTA YARDS!! And a whole lotta PULL!!! (descend means each 100 is faster than the previous)

I'm one who uses a strong kick. When it comes to pull sets, I'm not that great. It KILLS me. Godzilla, however, seemed to have no legs. That girl just crawled through the water. I felt like I was sprinting and I had NO chance!! She wasn't nice either. She could have moved to a faster lane, but no. our base of 1:30 was where she wanted to be. let's just say I could hardly pull myself out of the water when I was done. My arms felt like they would fall off and I still feel like I have a huge knot in the very center of my back...so sad.

When spring comes I will again swim here...where JOY is. Walden pond. A mile out and back. It's Beautiful and I don't have to worry about Legless Godzilla running me over...oh will that time ever come!

4 comments:

Cheesecake said...

Thanks for the Navy Submarine codes in your blog there Linda!? You don't have to talk over the rest of our heads to make yourself feel better after losing to this sideshow performer in the pool:) watch out for "Nessie" in that pond of yours!

Likely said...

Please tell me that you will really swim across Walden Pond - have you already?

Linda said...

tiff, I did it all the time this summer!! It's fantastic, next time you come we'll race!

Chris Rueckert said...

Let's just clarify that the pond is only 5 feet deep as well as the pool.
How much swimming are we actually doing?