Sunday, January 28, 2007

RS & JA

This stands for Relief Society and Jane Austin. I was going to approach it by way of the gospel according to Jane, but I really don't want to offend anyone. I was in RS today and found it AMAZING how often JA is quoted (not just today, but today sparked the thinking). Not just that one person tossed out a Pride & Prejudice line, but that someone else picked up on that and then followed up with the next line, like we were discussing scripture. For example (severe paraphrasing, but hopefully point will be delivered):

"Jane was the lovely sister who was genuine, sweet and good. Lizzy was similar, but with her genuineness was a level of intelligent brutality and sarcasm. Jane told Lizzy in one scene that she wished Lizzy would find someone like her Mr. Bingly because she wished the happiness on her. She wished everyone could be that happy. How often do we wish that kind of wellness on our friends, that we could just share our extreme happiness?"

person 2:

"But to follow up on that line, Lizzy says to Jane right after that, that she could have a hundred Mr. Bingly's and never be that happy. That until she had Jane's goodness she could never have her happiness. How many people have been offered Mr. Bingly's or EVEN Mr. Darcy's and will never find happiness because they lack the qualities inside that will allow them to experience this true happiness?"

Me thinking:
wow. did that just happen? Why do I find this funny? Does everyone in here understand this story as a universal example? hmm. I wonder. I think I get the idea, maybe. But what's with the Mr. Bingly/Darcy thing? Is this something we are aspiring to? Oh, ok. Maybe it's just that good things come along and yet we don't appreciate it or look for the opportunities to be happy. Maybe that's it. Bingly and Darcy could represent anything that could bring happiness: getting out of a ticket, a good grade, meeting a guy who's actually impressive, good weather, art, music, ...the list goes on and on. Sometimes we could overlook these things? right? is that what it means?

I have an idea. Next time, let's quote JA with Emma. This one I really like. How about when she says she's given that one girl charity but not kindness? Huh? Yes, I like it. Let's run with that one next time RS!!! Maybe some scriptural support? I think there was an ancient prophet somewhere who said something about that.

5 comments:

The Thomas Family said...

I have to admit, P&P speaks to my soul as it obviously does those two extremists in RS.
I'm sure anyone who has seen it can at the VERY least appreciate the attempt, but in reality that analogy is down right unfortunate... and uncanny.

Whits said...

too funny. My friend recently wrote a long blog about her ideas about dating and how guys/girls see it differently and on my run last week I related her experiences to P&P and made those connections in my head. But to bring it up in RS and quote it. Classic. I think your ward is a bit more "booky" than mine. Our RS book club has like 3 women go to it each month. Kind of hilarious

Linda said...

any one who has "seen" it sarah? Hmm, the book ain't bad!

The Thomas Family said...

shut up, Linda!

Chris Rueckert said...

Why would you read the book when there are like 3 movies of it out now? You can watch the movies in a couple of hours and it probably takes a year to read the book? They now have Book of Mormon movies too! (In case you want to save time)